Friday, August 29, 2014

Chasing Time

I missed myself.
I haven’t felt at home in three weeks.
I began my new job as a sales person three weeks ago.
I was eager, excited and determined.
I believed I had the personality, skill set and drive to do this job and do it well.
Low and behold after two weeks of training and a week cold calling prospects I have not made one sale.
I dream about work. I wake up every three hours at night. I am tightly wound.
With each “no” I began to lose hope in this new job.
I saw my eating disorder sneak its way back in.
My cold tendencies. Not wanting to eat. Cutting out pieces of my meal plan. A binge a week. The drinking increased.
The self-hate, the shame was so great.
I did not want to act this way but it was as though I had no control over the hole I was digging or the dark road I was traveling down.
I have been growing my mental game though. Really trying to hammer down that this doesn’t mean I’m a bad person, that I’m not lost, that all of my work isn’t gone. It’s very hard to separate that though when 8 hours a day the thing I’m trying my hardest at—I’m completely failing.

When I’m in an environment where everyone is excelling and I’m faltering.
When I’m in a place that no one knows what I’ve been through. That I am battling a disease let alone try to make new friends and learn a new job.
I am putting a lot on this new position because I feel I have exhausted my efforts.
I feel there is nothing out there for me anymore.
I tried at zulily. Being a writer. And that was a depressing dark hole where I just fell. Kept trying to climb out and every time I grabbed ahold my grip slipped.
Then there was the cruise ship and that failed miserably.
I tried getting a writing job before this and I was denied.
I have tried this and clearly I’m failing.
I have no other skill set.
Nowhere on my resume can I put down the fact that I’m really good at eating disorder treatment and I could probably be your therapist. That I put myself through treatment twice.
“No ma’am I don’t have recruiting experience—however I can do yoga meditation after eating a giant burrito without crying.”
What I’ve spent most of my life efforts on is being thin—and then fixing that. I have not had the time, energy or opportunity to develop in any other ways and I feel so lost.
What do I do now? Where do I go? I feel that there is nothing left for me. And that is a really scary, sad, depressing place to be in.
I haven’t written in a very long time because I had convinced myself no one cared and that I was bad at writing. However as soon as Chasing Time by Vicetone, Daniel Gidlund came on it was like I was home. The music moved through my brain, caught my senses and hit my heart. I felt whole again. I had the urge to write.
This is the only thing that gives me hope that I matter—that I have a place in this world. But I have no idea what that looks like, where that is or what it entails doing. Just knowing that there’s a comfort like this that exists is well comforting.
Ironically the song that inspired me to write says:
“If we could drive the words we say
Every single line would lead the way.” – Which to me is like I should just listen to what I’m typing, what I am saying to myself. My heart speaks to me so authentically when I write and I’ve been denying it the option to talk because I was afraid of facing the pain that comes with the shame from failing at this job.
“With the speed of light here on our side
We're chasing time.
Can't afford to lose velocity
When you’re going places never seen. “ – So I feel like I am losing time, I have to figure out my life now. I have to know what the right path is for me and I can’t afford to slow down so my anxiety is getting the best of me.
“With the speed of light here on our side
We're chasing time, chasing time. “
“Hold on to me” – I know my higher power speaks to me through music and she’s saying just listen, listen to my omens.
“As we're trading precious time for something new.” – While I feel like I’m throwing my time away on something that isn’t for me I’m just getting closer to finding out what’s right for me.
“Hold on to me

We'll be writing every line while rushing through.” – The we’ll is key here she’s saying she’s with me while I go through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment